How do I insert vector & not bitmap image in WP document?

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
ecbritz2

How do I insert vector & not bitmap image in WP document?

Postby ecbritz2 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:21 pm

I hope I'm following forum rules if I mention that I use WordPerfect X6 Office Suite. I need to mention this because it's fundamental to the way I would like to use Inkscape. Please understand that I'm new to vector drawing and totally new to Inkscape. So I need advice fit for new-born newbies.

What I would like to do with Inkscape, is to produce scalable vector drawings that I can insert as vector drawings (not bitmap images) into WordPerfect documents. I want to apply the advantages of Inkscape (complex vector drawings, a nice support community etc) and the advantages of vector drawings over bitmap images (sharper, lighter pictures) in the WP X6 environment, if possible.

WP X6 has an auxiliary draw program called Presentations Graphics X8 which produces vector drawings with the filename extension .wpg. This draw program is integrated with the WP word processor. You can insert vector drawings into WP documents by doing your drawings here. However, Presentations Graphics X8 is much more limited than Inkscape. I prefer to have the functions of Inkscape.

Here is my question: Is it possible to insert a scalable Inkscape vector drawing into a WordPerfect document, without first turning it into a bitmap image?

Normally, with any graphics file (photo, drawing, etc) I would simply open the file, copy it (Ctrl-C), and then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a document. Its not important which word processor I use: all word processors accept such picture inserts. But it seems that its always a bitmap image I copy & paste. Using Inkscape, I would like to produce and then insert scalable vector drawings into WP documents -- not bitmap versions of such drawings. If possible, I would like to be able to return the inserted vector drawings to Inkscape and do some more editing on them, before re-inserting them into WP documents.

Is this possible? How do I do it? Should I "save as" a special graphics file format before inserting an Inkscape-produced, scalable vector drawing into a WordPerfect document?

brynn

Re: How do I insert vector & not bitmap image in WP document

Postby brynn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:22 pm

As PT suggested, you should check the documentation of the program, to find out which formats it accepts. Since it apparently contains some vector capability, I would say that chances are good that some vector format would be accepted. It's just a matter of learning which one.

In addition to potentially being able to import the image (rather than paste) you can also look into inserting the image. I've seen other word processing docs use Insert to get images into text docs.

Do you happen to use a Mac? That might explain why pasting results in a raster image. It's a known bug. Although I'm not sure if it would apply to pasting into another program. To avoid it, I would suggest trying import or insert.

ecbritz2

Postby ecbritz2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:48 am

Thanks for the answers!

To find out what file type WordPerfect Presentations Graphics X6 will open or insert into its workspace, I would have to test every file type produced ("saved as) by Inkscape. I have two problems in this regard:

(1) I don't know WordPerfect Presentations Graphics X6 well enough to be 100% sure that I am trying to open or insert graphic files in the right way.

(2) Inkscape 0.48.4 won't save all the file types in it's "save as" list: in many cases, I get error messages with attempts to "save as".

What I must first do, is to learn WordPerfect Presentations Graphics X6 well enough.

In the mean time, I would like to know what I could download and install to enable the file types on Inkscape's "save as" list. Ghostscript, perhaps? What else?

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm

1 -- Usually the documentation for a program will tell you what formats are compatible. Start by looking for a Help menu or Help files. If you can't find anything in Help, try their website. Help should also tell you the proper way to insert images.

2 -- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=820 It depends on the file format as to what you might need to download. I can't find it in this topic, but somewhere in another topic, I think you mentioned EPS, PDF and something else. Both of those can be saved without needing anything extra installed. However, you will need something extra to open EPS files (I don't know what that is, but the linked message will tell you how to find out).

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”